« Winter Solstice 2006 |
| Summer Solstice 2007 »
April 23, 2007 | Spring Equinox 2007
Emerging into a New Life
I have to say that the 'birth process' for this Spring has been a particularly challenging one for me and others I know. It seems that with every step we take to self awareness, we are being asked to process the changes at light speed - memories, traumas, events that we need let go of. This is a very physically painful experience.
My aim to live in a heart centred space has brought up a wealth of childhood memories, sadness and anger. This is part of my journey home as well. The energy of Salt Spring Island does not allow masks or denial. For someone with a talent for communication, it has been a blessing to learn how to listen and speak my Truth to myself.
Meanwhile, outside - Mother Nature is bringing us a fantastic Spring. We have just moved into a new house, which looks out onto a lake and on to the sea in the south. There is so much wildlife, all eagerly making nests and plans for future generations. Treefrogs sing me to sleep (and visit me in the hot-tub when I am chanting); the lake supports a variety of wading birds, herons, geese, while my garden is visited by finches, towhees, quail and a Rufous hummingbird.
There is access to a system of trails on the hillside above the house where bald eagles, ravens and turkey vultures nest. Yesterday, I went for a walk through a meadow and came across tiny yellow orchids that love water, and purple woodland orchids under a grove of arbutus trees. So, through my transition period, Gaia is healing me.
Music continues to be a major part of my new life. I recently enjoyed a sound healing course, which has expanded both my chanting abilities and Sekhem healing. Recent concerts have opened up my love and confidence in performing, and I was given the chance to write the liner notes for the programme, which reminded me how much I love to write. I know that the music is facilitating the transformation process.
I wish you the time to watch the bluebells grow, birdsong and enjoyment of the budding of Spring.
love and light, Rasma
Please email me or ring (250) 537-4728 to book.
Salt Spring Island, BC
You can visit me at the Arbutus Therapy Centre (above Apple Photo in Ganges) on Tuesdays. Please note that I will be away for most of May gaining my Sekhem Empowerment in Scotland - back on 12th June.
I come over to Victoria quite regularly, so please email me or call 537- 5401 to see what works for both of us.
All sessions now available by subspace.
SALT SPRING OPEN HOUSE
Not sure what either of my therapies do? Or if you will like them? Why not try one or both as a 30 minute taster.
Dates @ Arbutus Centre: 3rd June, 8th July, 12th August
Choices: Sekhem, Mini Health Review, Fountain of Youth QB
Suggested minimum donation $10
Why not get a group together for a pampering party at your home?
- BSc (Hons) Health & Disease
- Doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine (in progress)
- Diploma of Nutrition
- Advanced Certificate Quantum Biofeedback(EPFX/SCIO)
- Sekhem Master in Training
- Soul Survival and Creation Trainer
- Emotional Freedom Technique Basic Level
- Indian Head Massage
How to Contact Me
Phone: (250) 537-4728 or 537- 5401 I check messages regularly
Breathe in the Spring
Spring has sprung in the Northern Hemisphere, and that means that for some of you it heralds the less than enjoyable Allergy Season. This year there is an unusually high pollen count, which accounts for the increase in allergy symptoms and concerns. Allergies are just as changeable as our bodies - a mild allergy from childhood can disappear or become a serious health issue.
Climate changes that are leading to longer growing seasons and an increase in pollen is bad news for those with asthma or hayfever. The actual cause, however, of the increase in allergic dis-ease is due to many factors including lifestyle changes, obesity, pathogens and pollution. Air borne allergens are definitely more abundant, but they can only affect us if our immune systems are overloaded by other toxins. Consequently, newly allergic people have potentially stronger or more frequent symptoms.
What does this mean for you? Understanding the nature of the society you live in and making the necessary adjustments is key to dealing with allergies. Here are 6 steps that may help:
1. Morning tends to be the worst time for pollen allergies. Staying indoors until 10am can help you avoid contact with the allergen. The pollen count will be suppressed when it is raining.
2. Spring Cleaning has an even more important meaning. Check your home for dust and mould, both of which increase with change of season and environmental reasons. It may be advisable to wear a mask while cleaning, to avoid inhaling dust and spores, as well as fumes from chemical cleaners. To avoid further stress to your immune system, I would recommend using natural cleaners like Seventh Generation or Ecover. These are available at your local supermarket. There are also good dusters and brooms available that have a magnetic attraction to dust, rather than spreading it around.
3. If you are a seasonal allergy sufferer, consider increasing or timing your Quantum Biofeedback sessions before the onset of your symptoms. This can help desensitise your reaction to dust, pollen and moulds, as well as boost your body's defense mechanisms and production of histadine (your own natural anti-histamine!). Asthma, fibro-myalgia, chronic fatigue and intestinal disorders can also have an allergy connection.
4. Supplementation is a great option to help you build up a strong immune system. Foods rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B5, Zinc, Calcium and Magnesium are excellent, and Echinacea works well as an immune booster for most people, with no adverse affects. Spring is the time for liver cleansing, which is why dandelions and nettles are popping up in hedgrows and gardens everywhere. Tea, salad, and spanokopita are only a few of the ways to use these liver friendly and nutrient packed plants. Garlic and pineapple are also excellent spring foods.
5. A Meditarranean diet, rich in olive oil and vegetables; low in saturated fats has been proven to reduce the incidence of asthma symptoms, such as wheezing, and of allergic rhinitis caused by dust or dander.
6. Allergy sufferers can also find relief by avoiding dairy, meat and/or wheat based foods. Try to avoid cutting all of these out cold turkey...instead, try four or five days without one and if symptoms improve slowly cut down on the others. You will most likely be able to reintroduce the foods once allergy season is over, or within 3 - 6 weeks, but listen to the message that you are overloading your system.
As always, making sure you are well hydrated is very important. Without water, everything slowly mummifies in your body, and the vital communication links that allow the correct chemicals ensuring immune health, digestion and detox function are interrupted, leaving the toxins to recycle and in some cases multiply in your system.
In Balance : Out of Balance
Celebrate the Season of Spring - the Festival of Balance and Potential:
Imagine you are a seed, full of life. Plant the seed of yourself lovingly in the warm Earth and water it gently until it begins to open. Feel your roots growing and reaching down into the Earth, drinking in all the rich organic nutrients. Feel the shoot unfold into the air, your leaves unfolding to soak up the Sun's rays. All that you need is given - for growing, for your well being. You are in radiant Health. (Taken from Sacred Celebrations - A Sourcebook by Glennie Kindred)
Everything is Alive
It is a little known fact that Eckhart Tolle, the prolific and reclusive author of The Power of Now, lives part of the year on Salt Spring Island. Consequently, there are regular meditations here, and his writings are seen everywhere.
Most recently, I read an article in a local magazine that reinforced the message that although we are all individual, we are interconnected, not only with each other, but also with everything on this earth. "Everything that exists has 'Being', God-essence and some degree of consciousness. Even a stone - otherwise, its atoms and molecules would disperse. Everything is alive: the sun, earth, plants, animals and humans. All are expressions of consciousness in varying degrees - consciousness manifesting as form."
I had quite a large wake up call in the winter months. My health was deteriorating at an astonishing speed and nothing I did was helping. The breakthrough came when I was reaffirming my intent to be an earth healer, and I realised that I was going about it entirely the wrong way. Mother Earth doesn't need my help to heal - she is capable of greater regeneration than I could ever channel to her. By 'meddling' - I was opening up grid lines that were causing more harm than good to me and others living near them. Interfering with the greater consciousness.
It became clear that my intent needed to be reshaped - my wish to heal the Earth is valid, but only in so far as I use my skills in communication to raise human awareness.
"Consciousness takes on the disguise of forms until it completely loses itself in them. Present day human consciousness is completely identified with its disguise. This is the egoic mind where considerably dysfunction sets in. Finally, the pressure of suffering created by this apparent dysfunction forces consciousness to awaken and become unidentified with form."
We are symbiots with Mother Earth - her catastrophe's serve as wake up calls for us; our behaviour loves or pollutes her. There is already some awareness on a global level of what we need to do to save ourselves (and in so doing, save the planet), but we tend to forget or overlook what happens in our own homes and backyards. We need to become more present with the Soul Self - the Watcher, to become gardeners and caretakers of both our inner and outer landscape.
And with the knowledge that everything is interconnected, as well as some good old fashioned quantum physics...by doing something small and positive in our own landscape, there will be enormous global ramifications through the ripple process.
The number of people suffering from dis-ease caused or exacerbated by an imbalance immune system is at an all time high. The two most important reasons for the immune system being crippled are increasing exposure to chemical toxins (inherited and ingested daily), and nutrient deficient diets. Dr Hulda Clark goes on to suggest that the cause of all dis-ease is a combination of pollution and pathogens. Both forms of toxicity triggers a mixture of two responses:
1. Immuno-suppression: the immune system cannot tackle invading bodies properly. The individual becomes more susceptible to infections and has a greater risk of developing cancer
2. Immune Over-activity: immune system overdrive causes the individual to become more sensitive or allergic to substances from hives to anaphylactic shock. There is also an increased risk of developing auto-immune system disorders like fibro-myalgia and psoriasis, and increased inflammatory disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, Graves, inflammatory bowel, etc.
Toxins can also distort and manipulate the immune system; this has been exploited by vaccine producers for decades. Vaccines artificially hype up the immune system; however, this can trigger other responses like flu response, hives, angio-oedema, anaphylactic shock, as well as late onset issues like chronic fatigue.
What to Do:
Cutting down on chemical exposure will help reduce chemically triggered allergic reactions, and help stabilise the immune system. Chemical avoidance combined with lowering existing levels of chemicals in the body can help improve many existing dis-ease states. By not buying chemical products, there will also be the positive ripple that less of these types of products will need to be made, and therefore pollution from their manufacture will lessen, and it will be easier to recycle the waste containers safely, leading to less toxic landfill sites.
1. If the label says 'poison', 'warning' or 'danger' - do not buy or use. 'Caution' labels may not be toxic, so use your own judgement.
2. Avoid products that do not give a complete listing of ingredients.
3. Avoid products that list ingredients by category, rather than individual.
4. Avoid products that do not tell you the origin of the ingredients.
5. Watch for synthetic ingredient names:
- 'chlor' indicates chlorinated
- ending in 'ene' indicates petroleum based solvents (can also be 'ol')
- petroleum distillates or napthas
- 'glycol' indicates petroleum based polyol or ether
- 'phenol' indicates use of toxic coal tar derivatives
6. Watch for 'biodegradable' timelines - 'readily' means several lifetimes
7. 'Combustible' or 'flammable' or heat storage/usage warnings indicate hazardous solvents
8. Avoid products with air quality danger warnings i.e. use in well ventilated area
9. Avoid products with skin irritation warning
Your Natural Cleaning Cupboard
- Baking Soda, Beeswax, boiling water, Borax, Carnauba wax, Citrus fruit i.e. lemon, Eucalyptus oil, favourite Essential Oils, Hydrogen peroxide, Jojoba Oil, Lavender Oil, Natural vegetable based liquid soap i.e. Dr Bronners, Neem Tree Oil, Olive Oil, Washing soda (sodium carbonate), White Distilled Vinegar, Tea Tree Oil, Toothpaste (organic)...
Vital nutrients to boost the immune system, and assist chemical detox include: Vitamins - A, B6, C, D, E, Biotin, Folic Acid; Minerals - Magnesium, Zinc, Iron, and Selenium; Omega 3, 6 and 9 Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs); high quality vegetable proteins (legumes, nuts and seeds). Chlorella and Spirulina can help to chelate out heavy metals.
Suggested Reading and websites:
- Stop the 21st Century Killing You, Dr Paula Baillie-Hamilton, Random House
- Naturally Clean - Seventh Generation Guide to Safe & Healthy, Non-Toxic Cleaning, Jeffrey Hollender & Geoff Davis, New Society Publishers
www.environmentaldefense.ca; www.ewg.org; www.safecosmetics.org; www.vran.org; www.vaccineinfo.net; www.chem-tox.com
For more information, and a complete chart of toxins you will be coming into contact with Everyday...please email me.
Spotlight on a Friend
Lyrae Emmerson - Lyrae's Naturals
I met Lyrae (pronounced Lee-Ray) about 4 years ago, at a Christmas Craft fair, when I was home in BC doing my Quantum Advanced training. I was so impressed with her, her products, her outlook on life and energy, that from that one meeting she became my main source for essential oils, guest soaps and natural baby products (for all those friends who suddenly were giving birth!)
Lyrae is the founder of Lyrae's Naturals. She has a BSc (Hons), in Environmental Sciences from the University of British Columbia (UBC) and has plans to pursue a MSc in a few years. Currently she is a devoted mother of two, and works at home on the business, still helping with the manufacturing and packaging in her shop which is located just outside her home. She is very passionate about environmental issues and the need for informed decision - making. As a scientist and a business owner she feels she can help play a role in fulfilling this need by both providing safer natural alternatives and by helping to make people more aware of environmental issues. Lyrae uses some of her income from her business to help her in her own environmental research and educational projects.
Lyrae's Naturals is an ethical and ecological supplier of 100% all natural handmade soaps, products for the bath and body, make-up, face care, baby, home and pet care products and more. All products are manufactured by hand on the Sunshine Coast, part of the beautiful west coast of British Columbia. There is a wide selection of all natural vegetable soaps in both naturally scented and unscented varieties, plus healing herbal salves and balms, lip balms, herbal face and hair care, bath salts, bath bombs, massage oils and butters, natural toothpaste and body care, perfume oils, and a line of 100% pure essential oils and organic cotton body, home and baby care products. The 100% all natural mineral make-up includes natural blush and facial glitter, moisturizing herbal lipsticks and natural lip gloss, concealer creams and face powders, liquid eyeliner, bronzing powders, and a wide selection of mineral eyeshadows to choose from.
This is a sample of what you can enjoy from Lyrae's website, and she does ship worldwide. For more information, visit the Lyrae's Naturals website at www.lyraesnaturals.homestead.com/home.html
2lbs fresh nettle leaves (handle firmly and with gloves!)
1/2C chopped fresh parsley
1/2C chopped fresh dill
2C finely chopped green onions
1 1/2tsp celtic sea salt
1/4C Extra-virgin olive oil
3C chopped onion (spanish or white is great)
1/4 tsp course ground black pepper
1/2lb goat or sheep feta, coarsly crumbled
14 filo leaves (thaw thoroughly if bought frozen)
3/4C clarified butter (ghee) melted
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Wash and clean the nettles, discarding the stems. Drain and cut the leaves into shreds. Wear gloves!
Combine the nettles, parsley, dill, green onions and sea salt in a bowl, and let stand for 15 minutes. Then press out all the liquid.
Heat the olive oil in a sillet and saute the 3C chopped onions until soft and transparent. Add the nettle mix and saute a further 2 minutes. Add the feta and black pepper.
Place 7 filo leaves in a buttered 10x17x2 baking pan, brushing each leaf with clarified butter. Add the nettle mix and spread into a thick layer on each leaf. Add remaining leaves on top and cut into 3x3 pieces with a sharp knife.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. These can be frozen for future use.
God's Grandeur - Gerald Manley Hopkins
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.
And for all this, Nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs -
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.
1. Please feel free to pass this on to people you think may be interested or would benefit from a therapy session.
2. If you do not want to receive this regular mailing, please unsubscribe by following the clear link.
3. Likewise, if you have received this via someone else, and would like to be added to the group, please join the mailing list or send me your email address.
4. If you work for a company, where staff might benefit from stress reduction sessions, please pass this on to your HR manager.